Monday, July 2, 2018

22



22 years ago I was born in Atlanta, Georgia at Fulton Children’s Hospital.
22 years ago my family received the call that I was here and that I was their daughter if they wanted me.
         22 years ago my sister Ali ran out the front door screaming like a banshee at my mom THEY HAVE A GIRL FOR US!
22 years ago my parents drove down in an ice storm to see me covered in wires and medically paralyzed.
22 years ago my parents made the choice to bring a special needs daughter into their life.

         My 22 years of life has not been easy. Numerous surgeries, hospital stays, millions of doctors appointments. But still I survived.

22 years of living has not been for the faint of heart, but it has been so worth it.  I was bullied, I am stared at, laughed at, whispered about, but throughout all of that I am blessed.

I have family loves me unconditionally, my sisters have always watched over me, were my bodyguards at times. My parents are my advocates and fight for me when I cannot fight for myself.  They have been with me throughout every surgery, doctors (that I need them to be at) appointments, talked to insurance, been scary at times dealing with people. (Please don’t make them mad you’ll regret it.) We aren’t perfect by any means but were family.

I have friends who have stuck with me through the ups and downs of life. Friends, who have been my lifesavers from all the medical stuff. I have met so many amazing people in my 22 years of life who say that I have blessed them. But in reality they have blessed me.        

22 years of life as I have done things that blow the minds of many doctors.  Such as swimming, eating ribs, and even talking. I have completed many of my life goals.  I have many more to complete. And I am living the best life that I know how. It’s not perfect by any means but its life, its never perfect.

22 years of life has been met with many trials, physically, emotionally and mentally. I fight everyday to get through them. Some days are harder than others but I still fight.

         If 22 years of living has taught me anything its don’t stop living no matter how bad the days get, they’ll always get better.
        
I am in no means perfect in any shape or form and neither is my life but I try and make the best of everyday. Even on the hard days.

         22 years ago my family choose me, and I am so grateful they did. They could’ve taken one look at me and ran but instead they said okay.
        
         22 years ago I was born and 21 years ago I was sealed to my family for time and all eternity. They may not be my birth family but I’ll be damned if I let them go.


22 years ago my life changed and I didn’t even know it.

2 comments:

  1. Kate - I love you so! Here's to the next 22 years of adventure! Keep on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And YOU my dear changed our lives for the better, love you more than you know ♥️

    ReplyDelete